If your looking for a moderate hike with breathtaking waterfalls just a few minutes from the trailhead, this is your hike! Get your fill of natural wonders at Tumalo Falls near Bend, Oregon. With stunning views of the falls and Broken Top mountain, this makes for a gorgeous day hike.
How To Get Here
From Bend, travel 11.6 miles west on Skyliner’s Road then 2.2 miles past the seemingly never-ending groves of aspen trees until you reach a small parking lot. You take a short trail up to the Tumalo Falls overlook. Welcome to Tumalo Falls, and be prepared to be astounded.
For The Love Of Waterfalls
If you love waterfalls, this is your hike. “Gorgeous waterfall after waterfall”; that’s a description you might expect find in the (mostly five-star) Yelp reviews of Tumalo Falls, and it’s an accurate one as well. The 8-mile trail – four miles to Happy Valley and four miles back, makes hiking and trail running a pleasure. (I like to hike there and trail run back.)
The first mile has plenty of river access complete with picnic spots, not to mention photo ops galore. With four breathtaking waterfalls, there’s plenty of scenery to go around. From there, it’s all just a hike in the woods.
When you come to a wooden bridge that means you’ve made it to the 2-mile mark, which is also a good place to stop for a break or you can turn back. However, if you continue on, you will be rewarded with seven amazing waterfalls back to back. Warning; side effects may include widening of eyes and dropping of jaws.
After that…sensory bombardment! The trail will take a sharp right and start ascending for about a half a mile through the forest. Keep going! You will be rewarded with a meadow overrun with wildflowers and rambling creeks. I went in July and there were swarms of small orange butterflies flying around and blooms of purple lupine lining the trails. Fab-u-lous!
Know before you go
- Get a $5 Day Pass or Northwest Forest Pass
- When heading to the falls, keep your eyes open for the Victorian Cafe. It’s the best place in Bend for breakfast and a Bloody Mary Located at 1404 NW Galveston Ave; this is a stop that will really get your trip started.
- After your breakfast break, continue on Galveston. It turns into Skyliner all the way to the Tumalo Falls turnoff.
- You’ll find plenty of restrooms and picnic tables in the parking lot.
- Don’t forget your mosquito repellant which you may need once you get close to the meadow.
Have you hiked here? What did you love? Please leave a comment.